• joan-audino-1
  • 1b
  • 2c

Getting Married in Australia


In order to be married in Australia, you must:

  • Not be marrying a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother or sister
  • Understand what marriage means and freely consent to becoming husband and wife
  • Not be married to someone else
  • Give written ‘Notice of an Intention to Marry’, to their authorized marriage celebrant at least ONE month before the ceremony date.
  • A person aged 18 years or older, who is not currently married.
  • You don’t have to be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident to legally marry in Australia.  Marrying in Australia does not guarantee residency.  

To complete the Notice of Intended Marriage you will need to provide Joan with the following documentation:

If born in Australia you will need:

  • Your Original or an “Extract’ of Birth Certificate or a Valid Passport
  • Photo ID
  • Proof of parent’s full names and country of birth.
  • If you don’t have a Birth Certificate, you can apply to the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages. This could take up to two weeks.
  • Certificate of Divorce  (if relevant)
  • Certificate of Death (if relevant)

If you were born overseas have:

  • *Original Birth Certificate  or
  • Your Passport which shows your date and place of birth 
  • Proof of parent’s full names and country of birth.
  • Photo ID
  • *You may also be asked to have the documents translated by an approved authority – NITTI.
  • If you have been previously married your Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce is required.If you have been widowed, please bring the Death Certificate. If this is not available, the only other form of evidence will be a Coroner’s or Police report

Marriage Certificate

During your ceremony, you will sign three certificates. You, your celebrant and the two witnesses over the age of 18 are required to sign each of the three certificates. You will be given a decorative ‘Marriage Certificate’ and other two documents will be sent by your marriage celebrant to Births, Death and Marriages to be registered. Joan will then notify you via email/SMS, when the documentation is posted. You will then need to apply and pay for the ‘official registered Marriage certificate’.


Notice of Intention to Marry (NOIM)

To get married in Victoria, or any other Australian state or territory, you need to complete a Notice of Intended Marriage   (NOIM) The Notice of Intended Marriage form is available from Joan or can be downloaded from link above.  


Joan can supply you with the required VISA letter as requested by the Immigration Department, confirming your completion of the NOIM for your application for a Partner or Prospective Marriage Visa.  (Subclass 300)

Prospective Marriage Visa

A Prospective Marriage Visa is required when one of the persons is not an Australian resident. To apply for a Visa, contact the appropriate consulate or embassy, and once you are granted a Prospective Marriage or Partner Visa, contact Joan to discuss your wedding plans.